Friday, June 19, 2015

There and Back

I have returned from my trip to the U.K. in one piece, which is surprising. I hit my head on almost everything over there. I hit my head on Blarney Castle, on the bus, on a church. On MANY things. And no, it did not knock any sense into me.
On my trip, I encountered many interesting parts of history that are not so far behind us. The castles still protect, the palaces still rule, and the churches still preach. There was stories of violence and valor, friendship and treachery. It was all quite interesting and has helped build a world for a future setting while giving stories that might one day be a plot line.
There are two very important things this trip has taught me above all others: 1-How to eat fast. 2-How to be alone while surrounded by people. Now the whole "eating fast" thing is hard for me. I can make one cup of coffee last four hours. So, you can imagine my discomfort when I had to chug half a Starbucks before going into Mary Kings Close. I felt sick.
Now on to the "how to be alone while surrounded by people" bit. It's not that I felt left out, but that I would have preferred to be on my own rather than forced on to people who obviously had no interest in me. It was difficult. I felt like I couldn't speak freely, because no one cared to listen or took what I said the wrong way. It got frustrating and I began to miss writing more and more. I missed my alone time and my thoughts. But I did survive the two weeks there! Even though I didn't think I would at times.
The point of this post is to admit, that it's okay to not be a socialite, to WANT to be alone because it's better than FEELING alone. Not all writers or artists need to be people persons. It's alright to be an introvert or feel awkward in social situations. Don't pay attention to misplaced importance on being at the center of conversations or events. Everyone functions differently. Everyone's creative process is different.

Be free to be your own person.

With Love, SKW

No comments:

Post a Comment