Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Cooler than the Snow

Again the weirdest things continue to happen to me. I feel like the character in Dear Dumb Diary. This boy in my math class came up to me today and said, "Hey, did you write a book?"
I had to look around the room for a minute, because that boy does not look like he cares much for the written word. "Uh... yeah. I did."
He continued to say, "That is so cool!" before one of the pretty popular girls said, "Haha (my name here) everyone is catching on now."
0-0 What is happening? Writing books is cool? I used to be afraid to tell people I like to write because usually they would give me that *I have no idea why you'd do that but I'll continue to nod and smile* face. It was something I didn't want to talk about and now everyone thinks it is the coolest thing. I still get self conscious because of the genre and the way I published it. Every time I say "vampire" I get afraid that people assume that it takes after Twilight or The Vampire Diaries (not that there is anything wrong with them). Another fear I have is that I cheated with Self Publishing and if people learned that it wasn't traditional that they would judge me. I picked a popular genre and I am paying the price... but I wrote what I wanted to read.
Even the teachers have gotten weird about it. My math teacher handed me back a paper with a 105 as a grade and commented, "She writes books and aces math tests." Did... did I just do something amazing? I feel like the same person. I look like the same person. So how come people are starting to actually like me now?

No comments:

Post a Comment